Autochromes Lumière
The Monplaisir' factory > The History of the Company > 1928, The Lumière Company

The Lumière Company (1928-1982)

When the Lumière Company took up its proper name again the economic climate was infinitely less favourable and the second half of the 20th century saw the inexorable decline of the family business. Their capital was around 42,790,000 francs. By this time, the factory at Joinville was specialised in manufacturing photographic equipment. The business remained a family business and was now in the hands of the third generation of sons.

From 1940 until 1967, Henri Lumière directed the Lumière Company, with Jean-Michel Lefrancq and Albert Trarieux, the son-in-laws of Louis Lumière, and his nephew Marcel Koehler by his side.

Albert Trarieux left the vice-presidency of the Lumière Company in 1954, the year of Auguste Lumière's death. By 1963, CIBA had become a majority shareholder, with a 60 percent stake in the Lumière Company, and Jean-Michel in left the company in 1969. The year 1976 saw the closing of the factories at Monplaisir-Lyon. This was the end of an industrial adventure and of a site that had played a major role in the history of French photography.

From the "Lumière Company" to "Ilford-France"
In 1982, the Lumière Company took on the identity of "Ilford-France." That, however, is another story.