Autochromes Lumière

 

Some Close Collaboraters

Two Childhood Friends
Marius Perrigot Marius Perrigot
Perrigot, Noël-Théodore-Marius, chemist of the Lumière factories, b: Lyon 2e, December 25, 1863 - d: ibid. February 14, 1939
and Alphonse Seyewetz were both students at the school of La Martinière along with the Lumière brothers. Marius was a lab assistant in the faculty of physics. He was recruited as an engineer at the Lumière Factory. Charged with the technical and commercial administration and with the training of cinematographic operators before the arrival of Alexandre Promio, we owe him the honour of the first public projection in Lyon on the 25th of January 1896. He also accompanied Francis Doublier to Russia to make a cinematographic promotion. Perrigot would remain in the service of Lumière for his entire life.

Alphonse Seyewetz Alphonse Seyewetz
Seyewetz, Alphonse, chemist at the Lumière factories, b: Lyon, March 14, 1869 - d: ibid. August 21, 1940

entered the school of chemistry in 1884 as a lab assistant. Engaged by the Lumière Factories in 1891, he became the head of their chemical services. In 1896, in collaboration with Paul Sisley, he published an important work on artificial colourants. A few years later, in 1900, he was presented with docteur-ès-sciences at the University of Lyon. This close collaborator of the Lumière brothers cosigned on more than two hundred articles on photography over more than forty years.

A Professor at the University of Lyon
Chemical Engineer at the establishments of Vulliod-Ancel, Paul Sisley Paul Sisley
Sisley, Paul, chemical engineer, 1866 - 1933

was a specialist in colouring materials and chemical products. He published in 1896, in collaboration with Alphone Seyewetz, an important work in this area. He was most likely one of those behind the determination of the materials required for the success of the Autochrome. A professor at the University of Lyon, along with René Koehler, he devised a procedure for protecting the photographic tissues against red stains. A long-time resident at Monplaisir, in 1898, the Sisley family finally sold the land upon which Antoine Lumière had already erected many buildings.

More >>